Painting a Floor Cloth

May 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Posted in decorating | 6 Comments
Tags: , ,

I’ve been wanting to make a floor cloth forever.  Well, this house tour thing got me going.  That and the fact that my hardwood floor needs to be refinished and I’m just not into moving everything right now.  I’m lucky that I received the vinyl remnant as a work perk.  I asked for the ugliest one with a paper backing and received a nice large piece.  I cut it to a five foot square approximately.

( As you can see in this picture I have already primed, painted and starting drawing my design on it.)

I then primed it with Fresh Start ( a high adhesion latex primer from BM).  Next I used some white flat latex (cause that’s what I had on hand  and I knew I would be coating the whole thing in latex urethane so it didn’t matter what finish I used at this point).

I  made my shapes using my mouse pad as a guide.

I made this stencil from bristle board and drew around it with a pencil on to the floorcloth.  I measured to keep things fairly even.

I then used black latex paint that I already had to paint my design.

Everyone got involved.

The cat hair adds texture.

Next I painted red in some of the centres.  I chose every other square in every other line.  I then put about four coats of Stays Clear (BM latex urethane in Low Lustre) on it..

I’m very happy with how it turned out.  I’ve been weighing down the edges with heavy books and it’s made a big difference to the waviness.

Stairway to …

January 15, 2010 at 4:25 am | Posted in decorating, Uncategorized | 3 Comments
Tags: ,

I’ve been really inspired lately by some pictures I’ve seem blog surfing. 

After I’ve been telling everyone that I was going to paint my stairs out white and paint a red runner.  I have received a sign.  My latest issue of the much loved Canadian House and Home Magazine  has arrived with a great photo on the cover. 

(small picture but, that’s all I could get right now)

That’s it I thought I’m doing it, and so, it begins.  This will be a Three Step Process over the course of a few days.

I purchased Benjamin Moore’s oil based Underbody, Oil-based Pearl Collection(210-1B) in Simply White(oc-117), and one quart of Brilliant red in Oil- based enamel wood and metal paint(133-23?).  I also used a sander, rags,  mineral spirits and the best painters tape you can find.

Here is the before,  they are pretty beaten up from years of use as well as an extensive reno which we didn’t bother to protect them from. 

I gave them a light sanding with my Black and Decker Mouse.  I concentrated on the areas with the most wear because that is going to be the first place for wear. 

 

After sanding and vacuuming and I wiped it all down with a mineral spirit dampened rag.  This really picks up any dust that the vacuum misses.  You could also use a purchased tack cloth for this step. 

Time for the primer.  I applied all the paint with a brush.  I just am too lazy to get a tray and roller dirty and then have to deal with even more things to clean or store.  It didn’t take long because I was just doing the treads. 

Not too often do you not have to worry about getting paint on the floor.  It felt a little strange.

 I left it to dry for a full day, because I was working but 12 -14 hours would probably be fine. 

The hallway looks so much brighter already.

I know, it looks a little boring.  It isn’t exactly a great after shot just yet.  I guess the before looks better at this point, but I’m not done yet.  The red paint is waiting…

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.